It's been a long time since I've made the time to brew beer; over a year, in fact. So it's time to start again. I'm going to reset my "brew counter", so this is brew number 1.
This is a kit beer, from MoreBeer, called Kama Citra.
I brewed it in a Robobrew v3 (the first time using it!), and I'll write more about that later.
- 9 lbs Rahr 2-Row
- 1 lb Caramel 40
- 0.5 oz Centennial (60 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (20 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (10 min)
- 2 oz Citra (flamout + 10 minutes)
- 1 oz Citra
- 1 oz Cascade
- One package Nottingham
- Sacc rest: 66 C for 60 minutes (15 L)
- Mashout: 75 C for 10 minutes
- Sparge: A bunch of water from 55 C to 75 C. See notes.
- Cooling: immersion chiller with ice bath recirculation
Brew date: 2018-09-22
- Liquid in fermenter: 18 L.
- O.G. 1.035 (!) (Target was 1.050)
- Pitching temperature: 20 C
- Time to onset of fermentation: 2 hours
This was the first time using the Robobrew, and not everything went smoothly. (Over all, I really like the Robobrew though!) The mash out took a very long time; I'm not sure if it's because I used two plates for the bottom of the malt pipe, or if the malt was ground to finely. The sparge took well over an hour. I'll have to do some research to see what other people have done with this.